Sunday, February 12, 2012

Elderflower Champagne Cocktail

I’ve been dying to tell you about my new favorite drink, a festive Elderflower Champagne Cocktail. I made countless pitchers of this beverage when the One-Year-Plan group gathered for our annual New Year’s Day 6-hour brunch, and I think that will be a yearly tradition from now on. I’ve waited to tell you about it until now because I think it’s absolutely perfect for Valentine’s Day.


Isn’t it gorgeous?

Here are your instructions for Valentine’s Day. First task: go to your local liquor store for a bottle of St. Germaine. If you’re not already familiar with it, believe me when I tell you that this delicate French elderflower liqueur is something that you will definitely want in your home. Floral and beguiling, it’s also extremely drinkable, as you can see from what little is left in my own bottle.


Secondly: pick up a bottle each of sparkling wine and club soda. You don’t have to splurge on fancy champagne for this recipe, not by any means. I usually use prosecco for this, or you can use any sort of inexpensive French or domestic sparkling wine that tastes good to you.

Third of all: why bother using ice cubes when frozen raspberries will serve the same purpose? These icy berries keep your drink cold while adding a dash of color and panache to your glass.


Next order of business: get out your prettiest champagne flutes. Drop in a few frozen raspberries, add a tablespoon or so of the St. Germaine elderflower liqueur, and fill the rest of the glass with equal parts sparkling wine and club soda.


Finally: clink glasses with someone you love. Sip and enjoy, and try not to guzzle. (But if you do, I don’t blame you. You can always make yourself another one.) As for what you do with the rest of your Valentine’s Day celebration, that’s totally up to you.



ELDERFLOWER CHAMPAGNE COCKTAIL
I first experienced this delightful drink when my friend Julie served it as a festive beginning at this year’s Thanksgiving dinner. I’ve given the proportions to make individual cocktails, but if you are serving a crowd, it works very well to mix all the ingredients, including the frozen berries, in a large glass pitcher and pour accordingly.

For each drink:
Several frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon St. Germaine (elderflower liqueur)
Chilled sparkling wine (I usually use prosecco)
Club soda or seltzer water

Place several frozen berries in the bottom of a champagne flute. Add the St. Germaine liqueur, then fill the rest of the glass with equal parts sparkling wine and soda water. Stir gently with a spoon, and taste. You may want to add a little more St. Germaine if you like a sweeter drink, or add a splash more bubbly. Stir again and enjoy thoroughly.

2 comments:

Brynn Albanese-Pneuma Melodies said...

Hi Louise! It's Brynn in California. Wow, what GORGEOUS photos. Your creativity is so inspiring. Take this Kitchen Fiddler idea to the max. Run with it. Right marketing person comes along, you could have yourself your own show without a doubt. Make something fabulous, and then play a tune. AWESOME!

Heather Grant said...

This is just the cocktail recipe I was looking for! I am making it for my family in Wales to celebrate the Queen's Jubilee, no less. I will be using the Chase elderflower liqueur