Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Comfort Food Links

What a week.

I have been sick at heart watching the news unfold in Boston this past week, as I’m sure you all have too. Words usually fail at a time like this, and I’ve started this post many times only to delete it, feeling that anything I say is woefully inadequate. 

 

I’ve always had a particular fondness for the Boston Marathon, having gone to school in Boston years ago. I always loved hanging out at the marathon expo the day before the race, which brought back happy memories of going to races with my dad during his marathon-running days. It was inspiring being in the energetic company of these impossibly fit runners who exuded super-health and joyful anticipation of the upcoming big race. As I wandered around the expo sampling various sports drinks and energy bars, surrounded by the runners picking up their official racing numbers and commemorative t-shirts, I wanted to be one of them: capable of going the distance and doing super-human feats too. 

It seems particularly unthinkable that an event meant to be a celebration of monumental endurance and physical achievement could end in such an unspeakably horrifying way. My mind was reeling as I watched the news, recognizing those familiar Back Bay streets where all the chaos was breaking out. I knew that friends of mine were among the spectators or working very nearby, and I have never been more grateful for their Facebook updates letting us all know they were shaken-but-safe. 
 
There is a quote from the great Leonard Bernstein: “This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before.” I had that very much in mind as I played various concerts this weekend, wanting to play my heart out in the hope that music could uplift audience members who were hurting. 

On another practical level, I’ve discovered several links where you can donate to those who need help.  

  • Click here to donate to the Boston Police Foundation. 
  • Bucks for Bauman is for Jeff Bauman, who lost both his legs in the bombing and helped authorities identify one of the suspects. 
  • To help the Richard family, donate here.
  • And for the injured MBTA officer who was seriously wounded during the Watertown shootout, you can help here.

If you are in need of a little lift yourself, here are a few links for some comforting food that can be easily prepared in short order. 

Savory Oatmeal with Parmesan and Olive Oil is always a winner in my book, for it lends itself to all sorts of variations, depending on what you have on hand in your kitchen. 

Since it’s spring and I’m craving all green things (as well as my ultimate comfort food combo of starch-plus-cheese), I’ve been very drawn to my lemony Asparagus Pasta this week. 


You also can’t go wrong with Softly Scrambled Eggs with Goat Cheese, especially when paired with good buttery toast. This is definitely in the category of “nursery food that soothes”. 

If you need a quick cocoa-based fix, there is nothing better or easier than Chocolate Toasts with Olive Oil and Salt.

Cardamom Hot Chocolate with Rose Whipped Cream is also good if you prefer your dessert in a mug.  Along similar lines is my favorite Affogato, if you need a good caffeine jolt. 


I’ll have a new recipe for you next time. But until then, please be safe and tell your family and friends just how much you truly love them. You can’t ever say that enough.

No comments: